Hey folks. The constant bombardment of coronavirus is wearing on me.
Last week I had hoped all the concern just belonged to the media and those that have something to gain…like of course all the supplement companies are going to be emailing me about ALLLL the supplements I could try to sell you. But at this point, I think the fear and panic extends much further than it should.
I find it so heartbreaking that people don’t see their magnificence.
On one hand, people must believe that we humans are so intelligent that we know and are aware of every virus and bacteria in existence, otherwise we surely wouldn’t lose our minds over this “novel” virus. Yet, on the other hand, people must also think we humans are so weak that humanity could be wiped out by a newly discovered version of a virus we’re already familiar with. A virus that infectious disease experts agree, is little more than the flu, and really only poses significant risk to elderly with significant preexisting health complications.
Society as we know it doesn’t stop every year for the flu. So I can’t quite wrap my head around the panic now.
If you are afraid of the coronavirus I want you to know this:
You are stronger and more powerful than ANYONE wants you to believe.
Especially the media.
When we appropriately CARE for ourselves, our brilliance shines.
So what can you do….the same things you can and should do to avoid any cold or flu!
Yes, wash your hands, avoid close contact with people we are sick, don’t touch your eyes, nose and mouth, especially with unwashed hands.Yes, stay home when you are sick (and keep sick children home from school).
But rather than just trying to avoid germs, there are things you can do to become more resilient. And these things don’t just protect you from germs….they protect you from ALL disease.
Take care of yourself FIRST!
1. Get plenty of sleep. Turn off the TV and go to bed so that you can get 7-8 hours of sleep.
2. Drink plenty of water, half your body weight in ounces of water daily.
3. Eat Well – Sufficiency. Deficiencies in vitamins and minerals impair immune function. Vitamin D, C, A, and zinc are common deficiencies. Add a fruit and vegetable to every meal. Make sure they are a variety of colors to improve your access to all the nutrients needed. Get a Vitamin D3 supplement because you can’t get sufficient amounts in your diet and we don’t get enough sunshine in Western PA. Take a probiotic supplement, everything you’re doing in step 4 is crushing your microbiome which is responsible for a large portion of your immune response.
4. Eat Well – Purity. Stop the junk food. Highly processed foods that are quick to prepare are inflammatory, they cause to release of insulin and cortisol that reduce immune function. At a minimum replace refined white flour with whole wheat, but better yet, avoid it. Sugar completes with Vitamin C for cell receptor sites. We know a teaspoon of sugar reduces your immune response for hours…and our consumption is so frequent that we rarely aren’t suppressed.
5. Move Well. Get up and MOVE. Take a walk, play something active with your kids. Moderate exercise gets your lymphatics draining, your air ways clearing. It elevates your body temperature and just like a fever, kills viruses and bacteria….just like cooking your food does.
6. Think Well. Bruce Lipton PhD presented in The Biology of Belief, “stress is responsible for up to 90% of illness, including heart disease, cancer and diabetes. When an individual is in stress, the release of stress hormones (e.g., cortisol) shuts down the immune system to conserve the body’s energy for running away from the perceived stressor, that proverbial “saber-toothed tiger.” Stress hormones are so effective at compromising the immune system, that physicians therapeutically provide recipients of organ transplants with stress hormones to prevent their immune system from rejecting the foreign implant.
The conclusion is clear: The fear of the coronavirus is more deadly than the virus itself!”
Stop watching the news. Unfollow fear mongerers on social media. Click the little dots in the upper right corner of any post and you can Snooze someone for 30 days! Fear is what most needs quarantined
7. GET ADJUSTED. Anyone who has been regularly adjusted at least once every week or 2 for several months know that they don’t get sick as often or as badly. Here are 10 studies that explain why:
- Korr IM: “Andrew Taylor Still memorial lecture: Research and Practice – a century later.” J Am Osteopathy Assoc 1974 73:362.
- Murray DR, Irwin M, Reardon CA, et al. “Sympathetic and immune interactions during dynamic exercise. Mediation via a beta 2 – adrenergic-dependent mechanism.” Circulation 1992 86(1): 203
- Riley, G.W. Osteopathic Success in the Treatment of Influenza and Pneumonia. American Osteopathic Association – Chicago Session. July 1919. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, August 1919.
- Riley, G.W. Osteopathic Success in the Treatment of Influenza and Pneumonia. American Osteopathic Association – Chicago Session. July 1919. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, August 1919. Special Reprint Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, Vol. 100. No. 5, May 2000.
- Noll, DR., Shores, JH., Gamber, RG. Benefits of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment for Hospitalized Elderly Patients with Pneumonia. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. Vol. 100. No. 12. December 2000.
- Y. Takeda & S. Arai : Relationship Between Vertebral Deformities And Allergic Diseases . The Internet Journal of Orthopedic Surgery. 2004 Volume 2 Number 1
- Felton DL, Felton SY, Belonged DL, et al. “Noradrenergic sympathetic neural interactions with the immune system: structure and function.” Immunol Rev. 1987 Dec;100:225-60.
- Pero R. “Medical Researcher Excited By CBSRF Project Results.” The Chiropractic Journal, August 1989; 32.
- Brennan P, Graham M, Triano J, Hondras M. “Enhanced phagocytic cell respiratory bursts induced by spinal manipulation: Potential Role of Substance P.” J Manip Physiolog Ther 1991; (14)7:399-400.
- Selano JL, Hightower BC, Pfleger B, Feeley-Collins K, Grostic JD. “The Effects of Specific Upper Cervical Adjustments on the CD4 Counts of HIV Positive Patients.” The Chiro Research Journal; 3(1); 1994.
If you do feel sick, stay home from school, work and the grocery store. But do NOT cancel your adjustment. I’ll be happy to reschedule you to a time with less people in the office. Take care of yourself.
You are an amazing human being. The intelligence that resides within you has evolved for millennia. The conditions that allowed for wide spread contagion in the past don’t exist today. And we know more about how to care for the human body than ever before. So CARE FOR YOURSELF.
Allow your magnificence to SHINE.